Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas time

I love Christmas, but I don't love how people overfill their days with things to do leading up to Christmas.  With that in mind I have decided to make this Christmas a simple one. I'm trying to focus on the true meaning of Christmas.  This is a wonderful time to think of others and give of ourselves.We should of course carry the spirit of Christ with us throughout the year, but at this time it is so much easier to focus on our Savior and try to be more like him (and we should take advantage of that). 

We have decided to only give each other only small gifts this year. We really have all we need, especially when you consider there are so many families that are struggling financially during these hard economic times. I'm so grateful for the blessings I have in my life and I hope that I can share what I have with others. I had the opportunity at work to "adopt" one child to give Christmas to from a list of homeless families in the community.  I chose to buy gifts for a little girl named Isabella. It felt so good to know that I was going to bring joy to a little girl on Christmas. I can remember when things were tough for my family when I was 16 and the fact that people stepped in to help our Christmas be merry and bright. I will forever be grateful to those anonymous people who helped us.

Tomorrow starts the 12 days of Christmas so I will be sharing some scripture passages and a story each day. Stay tuned for that.

No comments: