Sunday, October 23, 2011

Truth About Trying

I found out about Redbook's "Truth about trying" campaign through a friend's blog. (Click on the title of my post to be linked with Redbook's website.)The goal of the campaign is to end the secrecy and shame connected with infertility. They are encouraging women to make short videos about their struggles with infertility so that those of us dealing with infertility don't feel so alone and those who are not can be more educated about what 1 in 8 women are experiencing.

This is a very worthy campaign and I am so glad they are doing it, but I can't be a part of it right now. I'm in a place in my life right now where I'm trying not to be defined by my inability to have children and thinking about infertility is bringing everything front and center. I know that ignoring the issue isn't going to solve anything, but I can't fix the problem right now so why focus on it.

I watched some of the videos and felt extremely depressed afterwards. I know this isn't the point of the campaign. The whole point is to let people know they aren't alone and give them hope. It just breaks my heart that so many women deal with infertility. It also breaks my heart that no matter what else I try to do in my life I will never escape the fact that I have no control over making my desire to have children become a reality.

Since this subject is extremely depressing I'm going to stop talking about it now. I promise that my next post will be more upbeat.

2 comments:

Melis.sa said...

Thinking about you. Hope other things are going well? In your last post you talked about feeling crappy, are you feeling better?

Julie said...

I'm feeling much better. Thanks for asking.