Monday, September 6, 2010

Awkward Situations

This morning I told Soren that we would be doing the IUI sometime later this week just so he would be prepared for when it happens.  Nothing came of this conversation until we were having dinner at his mom's house tonight.

There we were sitting at the dinner table with his mom, grandma, our sister-in-law and 2 nephews when Soren says: "Hey mom, Julie has some good news she wants to tell you."  I had no clue what he was talking about so I asked him what he meant.  Then he says: "You know, what we are going to be doing this weekend."  It took me a few seconds to realize he was talking about the IUI.  I told him that I didn't have anything I wanted to announce.  Then, he kept asking me if I was sure.  I had to tell him 3 or 4 times that I was sure before he stopped bugging me.  I was so embarrassed that I must have been bright red.

On the drive home I asked him why he felt he needed to let everyone know that we are doing the IUI.  He responded that he thought they should be prepared for me being pregnant.  I'm glad he is so optimistic but I explained that it may not work and that I would be upset enough without everyone asking how it went.  I also told him that I didn't mind his mom knowing about it (in fact I already told her we were going to do an IUI this cycle), but I wasn't comfortable discussing it in front of everyone.  To end the conversation I told him that we should wait to prepare people for me being pregnant when it actually happens.

I can't believe that he put me in such an uncomfortable situation.  I'll get over it, but I'm a little upset at him right now.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Oh goodness! I'm sure he didn't mean to embarass you. Actually (alternative way to think about it), it's good that he's so on-board with this & going into it optimistically.

I think sometimes men forget to differentiate between "excited as a couple" & "excited to share with others". I've had to kick my DH a couple times to keep him from blabbing stuff too. :)

(((Hugs)))

Robin said...

Oh man, that sounds like something my husband would do! He has done that to me several times. His whole family knows what we're "up to" and I hate it!