Thursday, July 29, 2010

We have an Appointment

Yesterday I got a call from the fertility clinic to set up an appointment.  I was pretty surprised that the nurse took the initiative to call me.  It seems like usually I have to call and play phone tag with her several times before anything gets accomplished. This is partly my fault because I never seem to be near my phone when she calls me.

She reminded me that Soren needs to go in and get tested again (like I'd forgotten, Ha).  I made the appointment for August 16 to give Soren time to get in to do the test.  After him being so upset with me I didn't want to push things and have to cancel the appointment.  I told Soren this gives him 2 weeks to get the test done and that I hope that would be enough time.  He says he will go in and get tested on Monday.  I thought it was nice of him not to procrastinate until the last moment.

I have mixed emotions about the appointment. On one hand it is great to finally be getting somewhere. On the other I am really not looking forward to the exam they are going to give me that day.  I will have to have a regular woman parts exam (not sure why since I just had my pap in December, but whatever).  They are also going to do a vaginal ultrasound, which I've heard isn't fun.  I guess if I survived the HSG I'll be okay though. 

The part I'm the most nervous about is the fact that I'm meeting with a male doctor.  My husband is the only man that has ever seen my lady parts and I was hoping to keep it that way.  I have seriously never understood why a man would become a ob gyn unless he is from a time when women didn't become doctors. Seriously, why would you want to look at lady parts all day unless you are some type of pervert?  Yeah, yeah, I know: so that he can be part of the miracle that is child birth.  I'm fine with that. Just go be involved in the miracle of child birth with some other lady's private parts.  The only thing that is comforting me at all is the fact that this guy isn't just a gyno, he's a RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist). Somehow the distinction of him being interested in solving infertility makes me feel more comfortable. Hopefully, I can get over my nervousness in the next 2 weeks.  I guess I will have to eventually because I'm going to be examined more during this whole process, both the infertility part and if I ever do become pregnant.

6 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

Good luck at your appointment! I'm glad you guys worked through the s/a drama. I remember taking mine in and my husband told me to "make sure to keep it warm"...your husband isn't the only one that worries about the results, I think it's a hard thing for most men to do. (And scary to get the results back)

I think REs are awesome, and much cooler than a guy being a regular gyno. It will take a couple of appointments, but it's not so bad. I suggest reading about the procedures beforehand...it helps!

~*JaYmE*~ said...

Yeah for progress! Good luck!! The vaginal u/s really isn't that bad. It's a little uncomfortable at first but once its in there I barely felt a thing. As for the male doc... I never had a male doc until my RE and I loved him! My OB is male too and I really don't think I'll go back to a female. The guys just seem more gentle, I guess because they really don't know how it feels. It was weird at for me at first too but you get used to it!

Elizabeth said...

That's great you have your appointment set :-) A vaginal u/s really isn't that horrible- I'm sure you'll be fine.

I know how you feel about male doctors seeing your lady parts. I still would rather have a female & cringe when it's a male (I never had a male OB until July 2007 when I was going to see this particular one at my PCOS diagnosis). I promise while you may not totally get used to it you'll reach some sort of comfort zone.

Melis.sa said...

The u/s isn't that bad. It's mostly awkward?

I don't really care for male RE's or OB's either since they don't have the same parts, but they're obviously qualified so in the end I try to rely on that.

Robin said...

The vaginal u/s doesn't hurt, but it is sort of strange. I don't care who does my exams, mainly because I guess by now I have had so many. To me a doctor is a doctor... but I understand where you're coming from, too. I hope you relax and get more comfortable with the idea.

^J^ said...

You'll be fine on the u/s part...It's a little awkward/discomforting at first, but like Jayme said, once it's in you won't really notice it too much. Just remember to breathe and not tense up - it helps a lot!

I used to be the same way about no man{other than dh} seeing my va-jay-jay. I was so nervous the first time I saw a male doc. But now, my RE & gyn, heck even my MD is a man and I wouldn't have it any other way!! Having a baby is more important to me than who sees me down there...besides, I'm fairly certain every medical person in a 40 mile radius of me has seen it by now. IVF makes sure of that! Lol!!