Saturday, July 10, 2010

Gestational Diabetes Class

You might remember that I told you that I had to go to a class on gestational diabetes with a bunch of pregnant women. When I talked to the woman on the phone she told me that there would be other women dealing with infertility there. Nope, I was the only one. They started off the class by having us tell our name and how many weeks pregnant we were. I had to say: "I'm Julie and I'm not pregnant." That was a pretty uncomfortable moment.

Going into the class I wasn't that worried about keeping a food diary because I already do that. I figured I just need to keep eating healthy and I would be fine. The part I was worried about was having to use the blood sugar monitor and prick my fingers. Boy did I have it backwards. Using the one touch ultra isn't that difficult and it's kind of cool in a way to know where my blood sugar is at. I'm sure I'll get tired of it by the end of two weeks, but 3 days in it isn't that bad. The part that sucks is the diet they have put me on. It is extremely strict. I can only have a limited number of carbs, no rice, no sugar, fruit only with lunch and dinner, no dairy at breakfast, protein with every meal... I was devastated when they said that we could only have a very limited amount of fruit because I could eat fruit all day. Plus I had just bought several pounds of cherries, now I don't know who will eat all of them.

I had to figure out everything I was going to eat yesterday the night before so I could take it all to work with me. I hope that after the two weeks are up they will let me stop this diet. I kept telling myself I am lucky compared to the women in the class because I don't have to do this for months. I definitely want to lose some weight before I do get pregnant (if that ever happens) to lower my chances of getting gestational diabetes. It is definitely no joke.

I'm worried that this diet is going to keep me from losing weight. Afterall, it is made for pregnant women who need to eat more to support the life growing inside them. I was eating 1400-1500 calories to try to lose weight. Now they have me eating just over 2000 calories every day. When I asked them if I should follow this diet considering I'm not pregnant they said they still want me to. They seem to think that I will still lose weight, just at a slower pace. Wouldn't it be healthier if I got to a normal weight for my height? I ate all the food they asked me to yesterday and it made me feel so stuffed. I had to take my dog on an hour long walk to work some of it off. They have me eating 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Thay aren't just small snacks either. Here is my afternoon snack from today: 6 club crackers, string cheese, yogurt cup, carrots and celery. That added up to about 400 calories. That's a whole meal!

I think I am going to call and talk to the nurse about this on Monday. I really don't think they should have me eating as much as a pregnant woman.

5 comments:

elephantscanremember said...

I am sorry you're having to take that class, but hopefully it will beneficial in the end.

Keep in mind, as long as you're eating like that, your metabolism is having to keep moving and that burns calories in itself! As long as it keeps going all day, it's better than skipping a meal or eating more heavily at different point in the day.

Megan said...

Sometimes eating too few calories can hamper weight loss because your body thinks it's starving so your metabolism slows down too. So the nurse might not decrease your diet that much. As long as you're exercising, you should be fine. Good luck!

Misty Dawn said...

I have an atty at work on a WL program that was told by his trainer to eat 6 meals a day. He is eating 3-4,000 cals a day and has lost 90lbs in the past yr. Try to stick with it. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Something doesn't sound right to me!?

First, why are you in a Gestational class for pregnant women when you aren't pg? I do agree that you are eating WAY TOO MUCH !

I can't wait to hear what the nurse says, update asap !

^J^ said...

{{{Hugs}}} That must be tough being in a class with all PG women.

Well, that snack sounded good until you mentioned the yogurt. =( I can't stomach that stuff! Good luck with the diet, I hope everything works out for ya!