Thursday, April 2, 2009

I HATE My Job

I know I should be grateful to even have a job with how sucky the economy is, but I still despise the company I'm working for. I feel so used and deceived. As you may recall I worked for TJ Maxx for two years. It was okay, but there were so many things that ticked me off while I worked there. This last summer I reached me breaking point of how much junk I could take from them and decided to find a new job for the last 4 months we were in Grand Forks. Well, then we graduated and moved back to California.

While I am so happy to be back in my lovely home state, the economy is in the crapper right now. We have both had the hardest time finding jobs with our newly acquired bachelor's degrees. Most jobs we find in the classifieds are for very specific things, requiring very specific degrees, and wanting at least 5 years experience. Needless to say, we don't really fit the mould for these positions.

One thing I do have a lot of experience in is retail. I worked my way through college doing retail and so I figured that I could at least fall back on that experience until there were some jobs that my degree qualifies me for opening up. A few weeks ago I was offered a position as a Coordinator (same thing as a Department Manager at other retail places) at Marshalls. They are owned by the same company as TJ Maxx so I am even starting the job with some idea of what they want from me. This position pays next to nothing. When I tried to negotiate my hourly wage they made excuses about the economy and payroll, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, I accepted the position because I was getting desperate for some income and I figure something was better than nothing. Plus Coordinator was supposed to be full-time so I figured I would get health ins and could maybe figure out the infertility stuff.

Well, yesterday one of the managers was introducing me to someone else in the store and said: "This is Julie. She is going to be a part-time coordinator in the store." I responded: "I better not be part-time. This is supposed to be a full-time position." She then said: "Maybe I wrong. We'll have to check with one of the other managers." Then her voice trailed off.

I got off work before the manager I needed to speak with came in so I called back later in the day and she confirmed that I am in fact part-time. She also said most of their coordinators are part-time. Excuse my language, but WHAT THE HELL! All the coordinators at the TJ Maxx I worked at were full-time. I can not even express how pissed off this makes me. I guess this is just one more way for this devil company to screw over their employees. No full-time status means no health insurance and half the monthly pay I was planning on.

I Hate this company. I hope they fail miserably. I don't think I will ever buy another thing from them and I plead with all of you to stop buying anything from TJ Maxx, Marshalls, AJ Wright, Homegoods, or Bob's stores until they start treating their employees as more than something to walk all over.

I am stuck there until I find something better (wow, that makes me feel so depressed), but I'm outta there the second something else (anything else) comes along. Until then I think every time one of the managers speaks to me I will answer with "Yes, Satan?"

2 comments:

Misty Dawn said...

Wow that is evil......

((((HUGS)))

I hope you find something else soon! I hate shopping at those stores, they drive me nuts!

Megan said...

Julie, I am so sorry! I can't believe it's only part-time. I feel awful for you.